Sometimes life happens, and you forget to wish someone happy birthday. Even though you may be late, you still want to send them well wishes and convey how truly sorry you are. While this can be accomplished with remorse, sincerity, or even humor, the end goal is always the same: to make that person feel special and loved even though you missed their big day. Regardless of age or relationship, here are some belated birthday wishes to inspire you for just such occasions!
Belated Birthday Wishes List
1. You are such a kind, understanding, and forgiving person. I love that you have so many wonderful qualities, and I sincerely hope that you can forgive me for missing your birthday. I also hope that it was everything you wanted it to be. Belated happy birthday!
2. I never meant to hurt your feelings or make you feel unimportant. Please know that I am unbelievably sorry that I missed your birthday and that I hope it was as incredible as you are.
3. Here’s wishing a belated happy birthday to an amazing person who didn’t deserve to have their big day forgotten. I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you, and I hope that you can find it in you to forgive me. I’ve prepared wine and cake in preparation for begging for your forgiveness!
4. I know how much tradition means to you, so I stuck with my yearly tradition of being late in wishing you happy birthday. I’m just thoughtful like that. Belated happy birthday!
5. The reason I didn’t wish you happy birthday on time was that I was super busy that day. Busy being in awe of how amazing you are and how lucky I am to have you in my life.
6. I want you to know that I am so very sorry that I am late in wishing you happy birthday. Life may have carried me from you away for a moment, but I promise that I will always come back.
7. This year, I purposely decided to send your card late. This way your birthday excitement and joy could last even longer. You are very welcome, and belated happy birthday!
8. I know that I forgot your special day, but every day spent with you is special to me. Instead of focusing on the fact that I missed one day in your life, please try to console yourself with the fact that I love you every day of your life.
9. I am as sorry to have missed your birthday as I am happy to know you. You have brought so much love into my life, and I am grateful that you are still by my side. Belated happy birthday!
10. I might have missed your birthday by a mile, but nothing makes me happier than when you smile. Since I am late in wishing you happy birthday, I have resorted to rhyming to earn your forgiveness. Is it working?
11. I’m late in wishing you happy birthday because I am in denial about you getting older. I wish you could stay my little girl forever. Belated happy birthday to my darling daughter!
12. Hmmm. Team Punctual or Team Late. Like Team Edward or Team Jacob, this was a very hard decision for me. I went with Team Late, and I hope that you can support me like a good friend.
13. I certainly hope that you believe in the adage “better late than never.” I also hope that your birthday was spectacular and that your year will be even more so. Belated happy birthday!
14. Hey, I know I forgot about you on your big day, but at least I eventually remembered you! At our age, this is really saying something about how strong our friendship is. Belated happy birthday to my old but extremely lovable friend!
15. I’m so sorry I missed your birthday. I wish I could’ve been there to celebrate with you because I’m sure it was phenomenal because you are. Please accept my apologies and well wishes.
16. Lately, you have been in my thoughts quite a lot. Emphasis on lately. I’m sorry it’s late, but I wish you untold joy and happiness this year. Belated happy birthday!
17. I purposefully waited until after your birthday to wish you happy birthday. This way I could see what everyone else got you, and then I could top them! I wanted to make sure you received the very best present this year. You are so lucky that you know such a kind person like me.
18. I really and truly regret that I missed your birthday. To make up for lost time, I have decided to compensate by eating double the usual amount of cake. I’m doing this all for you, buddy!
19. My birthday wishes may be late, but they are sent with lots of love. You are an amazing person, and I am so sad that I missed getting to share your big day with you. Belated happy birthday!
20. I am pretty sure that birthday wishes don’t expire, which is a good thing considering how late I am in sending them. Please forgive me, and I hope that you have a year full of delightful memories, wondrous moments, and incredible people.
21. I’m late because I wanted to have your full attention when I wished you happy birthday. I’m needy like that. Happy birthday to an amazing person who always puts up with my crazy!
22. I hope that your year is as wonderful as this message is late! I am so sorry that I am so late. Please know that I feel incredibly bad that this happened, and I still wish you the very best.
23. How can you possibly expect me to remember your birthday when you never age? It defies the laws of logic. Belated happy birthday to the ageless wonder that is my bestie!
24. I can’t believe that I am so ridiculously stupid that I forgot your birthday. You are a lovely, amazing, generous, and caring person who deserves all the best. Belated happy birthday!
25. Even thought I am late in wishing you happy birthday, I promise that it doesn’t mean I love you any less. In fact, it means I love you so much that I am going out of my way to make sure you receive all my love and affection after the fact. Yes. Let’s go with that excuse!
26. Even though my birthday wish is late, I promise that I will make it up to you. The food and beer are on me today! We should drink a lot so that you can forget what a bad friend I am.
27. I hope that your birthday celebration was as cool, hip, rad, and awesome as you are. What? Stop acting like you don’t still live in the 80’s. Belated happy birthday to the best dude I know!
28. You are such an understanding person, and I love that about you so much. I hope that you can understand that I would never intentionally miss your birthday. I also hope that you had a wonderful time, and I look forward to smothering you with love to make up for my lateness.
29. I’m a lot like the White Rabbit: “I’m late! I’m late! For a very important date!” You are a queen to me, but I hope that you don’t want to chop off my head! Belated happy birthday, my love!
30. I wish you all the happiness in the world to make up for all the sadness that I brought you by forgetting your birthday. May your year be happy, bright, and joyous. You deserve it.
31. This birthday wish may be late, but at least it comes with a gift! I hope that it’s not too late to wish you the best in all you do this year. Belated happy birthday!
32. I am stunned that I forgot your birthday. Who could forget such a forgiving, talented, forgiving, beautiful, forgiving, and amazing friend? Did I mention forgiving? I am so sorry, and belated happy birthday!
33. There is no excuse for missing one of the most important days of the year: your birthday. If you would like, I can make up something epic though. I am very creative, so I’m sure it will be good!
34. Apparently, I have completely lost my marbles, because I forgot such a lovely person’s birthday. Can you be a good friend and help me find them? This way I can send you heartfelt wishes.
35. May you be blessed with abundant peace, happiness, and love. Even though they’re late, my wishes for you are still sincere. You’re an adorable person, and I hope your big day was sublime.
36. I am a little behind in celebrating your big day, but I caught up eventually. Let me make it up to you by treating you to dinner and lots and lots of cake. Belated happy birthday!
37. You probably want a good reason for why I didn’t show up for your amazing birthday party. It’s because I was intimidated by your sheer perfection. It’s daunting. I swear! I have since gathered up my courage to wish you a belated happy birthday!
38. I purposefully sent this birthday wish late so that you would still have something to look forward to. I thought it would be nice to drag out the birthday excitement. You are welcome.
39. Because I missed your birthday, I missed out on so many amazing things: birthday cake, time with you, and birthday cake are just a few. Can you tell what I missed the most? Just kidding. Time with you is more amazing than birthday cake. But just by a hair!
40. I am so fortunate to know such a smart, caring, and appreciative person like you. Hopefully, you are the kind of person who still appreciates a birthday wish even when it’s late. Right?
41. The reason I missed your big day is that I have an illness: birthday forgetitis. It has serious side effects such as loss of cake and friendship. I didn’t want you to catch it, so I stayed away out of love and concern for you. You’re welcome.
42. I hope that your life will be filled with all the joy that you deserve. May it continue to shine as brightly as you do, and may you also forgive me for being late in wishing you happy birthday.
43. I just can’t believe I missed your birthday. I was distracted by how amazing you are. This means it’s all your fault that I forgot! Please let me make it up to you with an obscene amount of cake and love. Here’s wishing you a belated happy birthday!
44. I am sending belated birthday wishes to the most caring, loving, and forgiving person I know. Even though I missed the actual day, I still hope that it was just as amazing as you are in life.
45. I’ve prepared a thoughtful gesture for forgetting your birthday this year. It includes the sweetest candy, the biggest cake, the most expensive wine, and the sincerest apology.
46. I truly think that everything worked out even though I was late because now it is a surprise! Don’t you like surprises? I wanted to put a little spice in your life this year. You are welcome.
47. You have so many great attributes. One of which is your capacity for forgiveness. I am thankful in advance that you will let me off the hook for forgetting such a wonderful person’s birthday.
48. I’m sure your birthday was amazing because you were there. However, I’m still extremely sorry that I missed it, and I hope that you can find it in you to forgive me. I’ve brought ungodly amounts of chocolate with me to facilitate this process!
49. It’s not that I forgot your special day, it’s that I wanted to extend your happiness a bit longer. I hope that it was as delightful as you are and that your year will be full of many blessings.
50. Since I was an idiot and missed your big day, I decided to send twice the number of hugs, kisses, and well wishes your way. I hope that these can console you or at least brighten your day.
51. I may have forgotten the exact date of your birthday, but I promise that I will never forget what an amazing person you are. You are delightful, caring, and loving. I am beyond happy that I have you in my life, and I hope that you know I am so very sorry my birthday wishes are late.
52. I’m am truly sorry that my birthday wish is a day late. Can we blame it on the time-zone difference? You know Math was my weakest subject. Please forgive me, and belated happy birthday!
53. I know that I forgot to wish you happy birthday, but does it help at all that I also forgot that you are getting older? I think that should really count for something! Belated happy birthday to my eternally youthful friend!
54. I purposefully missed your big day, because I thought that you were trying to forget your age! It seems that I was wrong. Please forgive me and allow me to shower you with love and affection.
55. I want to clarify that it’s not that I am late wishing you happy birthday this year. It’s that I am super early for next year. I am on it like that. You are welcome and belated happy birthday!
56. This is how I feel about the fact that I missed your birthday this year: facepalm. I know that this was a friendship fail, but I sincerely hope that you have a wonderful year filled with nothing but amazing and happy moments.
57. There was something positive about the fact that I missed your special day: at least this year I was less late than normal. At this rate, one day I might actually be on time!
58. I’m sincerely sorry my birthday wishes are late. I promise that I will devote the rest of this year to making it up to you because no one deserves to be pampered more than you do.
59. Well, at least I can comfort myself that you had a great time on your big day. I know this because I saw all your Facebook posts. This was also when I realized I was a crappy friend. I hope your year is as great as your birthday was, and belated happy birthday!
60. I know that I am late telling you happy birthday, but at least I brought you a nice gift! Is there any way I can bribe you for forgiveness? Pretty please and thank you!
61. Even though my birthday wish is quite late, I hope you know that it’s not because you are unimportant. You mean so much to me, and I hope that you can forgive me. May your year be full of magic, wonder, and delight. I’m sending hugs and belated birthday wishes your way.
62. I want you to know that I would never, ever forget your birthday. I was just extending out your happiness and well wishes. I intended for this wish to be late since I’m such a good friend.
63. I didn’t miss your big day because I forgot it. It’s just that you are so secretive about your birthday (and age) since you’ve gotten old. I wasn’t even sure what day your birthday was! Just kidding. At least, you will always be younger than me. Belated happy birthday, young’un!
64. My life is made all the better for having known you because you have brought love and laughter into it. I hope that your year is as delightful as you are and that I am on time next year!
65. I want you to understand that I didn’t mean to be late in wishing you happy birthday. Life distracted me for a moment, but I am back in the game now. Let’s party with a vengeance to make up for my failure as a friend.
66. Surely, there isn’t a time limit on affection and love? You are a phenomenal person, and I hope that your day was every bit as wonderful as you are to me. Belated happy birthday!
67. Since I am late in wishing you the best for your birthday, I am positive that there is no left-over cake for me. But is there still any friendship and love left over? Belated happy birthday!
68. I was delayed sending you this birthday wish because as we grow older, we have so much more to celebrate about in life. It took me awhile to process all the wonderful times we’ve had together, but now I am ready to spend a whole day celebrating how amazing you are.
69. When your birthday wishes are late, it just means that you are extending your birthday celebrating even longer! You are welcome. Let’s get to celebrating your birthday in style.
70. I’ve been crazy busy these last few days. It’s still no excuse for not being there for your big day, but please know that it was never intentional. Belated happy birthday to an exceptional person!
71. I know that there is probably nothing I can do to minimize the pain I caused you by forgetting such an important day in your life. I hope that you will let me try though and that you can eventually forgive me. Belated happy birthday!
72. Even though my birthday wishes are arriving late, that doesn’t mean that I don’t cherish and value you as a friend. I hope that your birthday was just as magnificent as you are.
73. I am the epitome of “a day late and a dollar short” this year. I was a day late wishing you happy birthday, and I was a dollar short of getting you that present that you wanted! At least, I brought my love, support, admiration, and friendship. Belated happy birthday!
74. Oscar Wilde said that “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” Last year I received my birthday wishes late, so this year I was just following in the footsteps of greatness. I only wanted to be like you!
75. Your birthday is a lot like the fable of the tortoise and the hare: you may beat me to it, but I will get there eventually. Even though your birthday passed by so quickly that I forgot it, I am still so lucky that I get to celebrate it with you.
76. I didn’t really forget about your birthday. I just figured that you were so special that you deserved more than one celebration! Someone as awesome as you should be celebrated twice.
77. Wife, I gathered up all my courage to face your wrath head on! It’s completely justified, because who could forget such a gorgeous, intelligent, and amazing woman’s birthday? Belated happy birthday from your husband who loves you just as much as he fears you!
78. I truly thought that this year I was pulling my life together, and then I missed your birthday! Darn it. Oh well. There is always next year. Belated happy birthday anyway!
79. My sincerest apologies for missing your big day. I promise that next year I will be on it! To earn your forgiveness, I have come bearing pizza, and more importantly, beer.
80. You have been blessed with many things in life, but apparently, a punctual friend is not one of those things. Honestly, your life must be evened out somehow! Even though I wasn’t there, I really hope that you had a great time. Belated happy birthday!
81. This year I hope that you receive more excitement, merriment, and contentment than you can possibly stand. Even though it’s late, I wish you all the best. Belated happy birthday!
82. My mind may have forgotten your birthday, but my heart will never forget our friendship. I am sorrier than words can express, and I hope that you receive every comfort and joy this year.
83. Over the years, sometimes my memory fails me. This was one of those times. Don’t forget that I’m older than you! Just wait until you are my age, and you will see how hard it is to remember these things. Belated happy birthday from an old fuddy-duddy!
84. I swear it’s not my fault I missed your special day. Facebook reminders failed me in my time of need, so let’s place all the blame on them! Belated happy birthday from your very sorry friend!
85. This year I decided to take fashionably late to a whole new level because I really wanted to make a big impression on you. May you always remember this birthday, and may you always be surrounded by love and kindness as well. Belated happy birthday!
86. I know that this birthday wish is late, and all I can do is offer up the sincerest of apologies. May your day be filled with laughter, your year filled with joy, and your life filled with love.
87. I was racking my brain on how to extend your birthday celebration, and I came up with a brilliant plan: I should wish you happy birthday later than normal. Looking back, there may have been some flaws in my plan, but I promise that my intentions were good!
88. Belated happy birthday to one of the most amazing people I know! You are truly thoughtful, kind, generous, and loving. May your year be full of only good moments and great people.
89. Even though I was late this year, please know that my love for you will never fade. Just my memory will! I hope that your birthday was full of joyous moments and loving hugs.
90. This birthday wish is late because it took me a long time to comprehend the fact that you were aging. It was just too unbelievable since you look like a movie star. Belated happy birthday to a gorgeous, amazing, and brilliant person! May your year be full of as much sparkle as you bring to my life.
91. I hope that your birthday was full of glee because you deserve that. I am sorry I am late in wishing you well, but I really do wish you every happiness this year. Belated happy birthday!
92. This year I decided on the perfect birthday present: a watch. This way you can help me remember when I am supposed to wish you a happy birthday! Please forgive me for being late.
93. I really wish I had a time machine. Then I could go back and wish you happy birthday on the correct day. Where is the DeLorean when you need it? Belated happy birthday to someone who has been there for me in my past, my present, and will always be a part of my future!
94. Remember the saying “good things come to those who wait”? This is one of those moments where it applies! I may be late, but I have come bearing ungodly amounts of chocolate and cake.
95. I know I already missed it, but let’s celebrate your birthday again tonight. You are such a nice person that we should celebrate it twice! No one deserves to have multiple parties more than you do. Belated happy birthday from your exceptionally thoughtful friend!
96. My birthday wish may be a little late, but the love that accompanies it is good on any date. I hope that you only know kindness, love, and peace in your life. Belated happy birthday!
97. There are not enough words in the English language to describe how crappy I feel that I missed your special day. Please let me make it up to you. Choose your method of bribery: pizza, cupcakes, wine, Chinese food? Just let me know, and I will provide it!
98. Many people “save the best for last,” so this year life decided to save me for last in wishing you happy birthday! This just means that I get to stand alone in wishing you the very best. May your year be filled with moments of love that dazzle and amaze you.
99. It’s not your birthday I forgot. It’s your age. What was it again? 30, 25, or 20? Ah, it’s surely 20! Belated happy birthday to the youngest, smartest, and the prettiest person I know!
100. I have come up with the perfect gift: a calendar so that you can help me to remember when I am supposed to tell you how glad I am that you were born! You are an amazing person, and I hope that your birthday was just as fun and charming as you are to be around.
101. I know my well wishes are late this year, but I am just returning the favor since mine has been late before too! You know what they say: “birds of a feather flock together.” Here’s wishing a belated happy birthday to someone who means the world to me.
102. Now that we are getting so much older, I really hope that you forget that I forgot your big day. Let’s just pretend it didn’t happen. Belated happy birthday from one oldie to another!
103. It pains me so much that I forgot your special day. I swear that it wasn’t on purpose and that the days just somehow flew by. To win back your favor I have brought lots and lots of wine!
104. I hope that for your birthday you had the best of everything: the best presents, the best people, and the best time possible. Even though I am late, I am here to provide one more best in your life: the best friendship possible. Belated happy birthday!
105. I’m not late in wishing you well. It’s just that I wanted everyone to be able to celebrate how great you are twice! Belated happy birthday to a positive, magnanimous, and loving person!
106. I know that my birthday wish is late, but I learned from the very best: you. So, really, it’s your own fault. Belated happy birthday from one late-wisher to another!
107. I’m going to go with the excuse that I wasn’t in town to justify my missing your special day. I swear I was thinking of you, it’s just that I forgot to actually let you know that I was thinking of you!
108. I hope that my birthday wishes will bring a smile to your face because you always know how to bring one to mine. Even though it is so very late, I want you to know that I wish you every joy and happiness this year. Belated happy birthday!
109. Missing your birthday just means that now there is another excuse to celebrate how truly wonderful you are. There is so much to celebrate and love about you: you are handsome, funny, and forgiving. Thanks in advance for forgiving me for being late in wishing you well.
110. Even though my birthday wish was late in reaching you, it was still earnestly meant. You are a phenomenal person, and I can’t believe how fortunate I am to have you in my life.
111. I am really sorry I am late in wishing you a marvelous birthday. I hope that it was as perfect as you are, and may you receive only good tidings and cheer for the rest of the year.
112. It’s not quite that I forgot your birthday. It’s more that I forgot to remember your birthday on time. There is an important distinction between the two! Late is always better than never in my mind. I hope that your birthday was filled with precious moments and people.
113. I know it’s horrible that I forgot your birthday, but I hope that you’ll let me make it up to you. I plan on treating you extra special since I’m wishing you a belated happy birthday!
114. I’m a lot like Britney Spears: “Oops…I did it again.” I’m sorry I’m late again for your birthday, but I hope that it was as fabulous as you are. One day I will be on time. I swear!
115. I hope that every moment of your birthday was just as beautiful as you are, and I am beyond sad to have missed it. May your every wish and dream be fulfilled this year.
116. My well wishes may be late, but you’re always in my thoughts and heart. Next year, I’ll try extra hard to be on time, because a person as lovely as you, deserves that and more.
117. For missing your birthday, I plead guilty. For my excuse, I plead the fifth. For the sake of our friendship, I plead for forgiveness. Please don’t judge me too harshly for forgetting your big day. I am so sorry, and I wish you a life filled with only amazement, joy, and wonder.
118. I know that I forgot to wish you happy birthday on time, but can I please blame it on my old age? Honestly, sometimes I forget my own birthday! Happy birthday from an old friend.
119. Surely, time doesn’t matter as much as feelings do? My feelings for you are as strong as they are endless. Even though I’m late, I wish you happiness, merriment, and gaiety this year.
120. I never meant to make you feel sad, forgotten, or unloved. Life just happened to sweep me away for a minute. Now that I am back, I promise I will work on making you smile daily.
121. I really wanted to be able to increase your birthday jubilation, so I am wishing you happy birthday a little bit late. I swear this is all part of my master plan! May your day be full of joy, laughter, friendship, hugs, and unbelievable amounts of love. Belated happy birthday!
122. Please don’t let the fact that I forgot your birthday ruin your day. We have a beautiful thing, and I don’t want anything to come between us. I will work hard to earn your forgiveness.
123. I’m very sorry that I forgot your big day. Please accept my apologies and belated happy birthday in the spirit that there are given. I hope your day was incredible… just like you are.
124. There are days when I don’t know what time, day, or year it is much less have a clue about what day you were born on. But I always know how much you mean to me. I’m very sorry I missed your birthday, and I hope that you had a wonderful time with lots of cake and presents.
125. Belated happy birthday to my amazing fiend! Friend. I meant amazing friend. I swear! Must have been a Freudian slip, because you are a bit of a fiend too. I love you regardless.
126. Please know that I am not above groveling for your forgiveness since I forgot your special day! Anything you want me to do for you just let me know, and I am there. From massages to cooking to laundry nothing is off-limits when it comes to earning your favor back.
127. I know that your birthday wish is late this year, but does it count for anything that I am at least on time with my apology? I certainly hope so! I sincerely apologize, and I hope that your year is full of countless blessings, meaningful moments, and supportive people.
128. Being fashionably late is in style right now, which is what I’m going to use as my excuse for why your well wishes are late. Belated happy birthday from one stylish friend to another!
129. Happy belated birthday! Wait. That’s not grammatically correct? Darn. I even messed that part up. Oh well. Belated happy birthday from your friend who is one special cookie!
130. Your special day may have already passed, but my love and adoration for you never will. I am sorry this message is late, but I wish you only happiness, peace, and wonder this year.
131. I am sorry that I forgot to tell you how amazing you are on your big day, so I will take the time to do it now! You are a wonderful person, a loving relative, and a stellar friend.
132. It wasn’t my intent to make you feel unimportant by forgetting your birthday. You are an exceptional person, and I value our time together. I am so sorry that I missed your special day, and I hope that your birthday was as even half as spectacular as you are.
133. You are so incredibly lucky that you know someone who can defy so many expectations in life. Especially time expectations! Even though it’s late, I wish you the very best this year.
134. I didn’t really forget your special day. I just figured that someone as wonderful as you deserved to have more than one birthday celebration. May your year be as delightful as you are.
135. You were in my thoughts so often that you took up all the space. Therefore, it’s your own fault that I couldn’t remember when you were born! You should really try and be a little less awesome. Belated happy birthday to a marvelous person!
136. I know that I am super behind on wishing you happy birthday, so I have arranged a lot of presents for you to compensate for my failure: wine, chocolate, a pedicure, and red velvet cake to name a few. Do you think these will be enough for you to forgive me?
137. I can’t believe I missed your birthday. There is one thing I am certain of though: that it was as epic as you are. I’m sure it was a blast, and I hope that the rest of your year is too!
138. Birthdays come and go, but friends like you last a lifetime. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for your special day, but I plan on making every day just as special as a birthday for you.
139. I didn’t forget you. I just forgot your birthday! You are an incredible, talented, and unforgettable person, but the day you were born just slips my mind sometimes. Please find it in you to forgive me, and I hope that you have a tremendously fun and joyous year.
140. Man, time sure flies by now that we are getting older. It flew by so fast that I missed your big day! I am so sorry about that, but I hope that it was as impressive as you are.
141. I forgot your birthday this year: major friendship failure. I am so sorry, and if you let me, I will spend the rest of the year striving to make it up to you. Belated happy birthday!
142. Eventually, you will be blessed with all the good things that life has to offer: friends, money, love, and me wishing you happy birthday. It’s late, but I still wish you all the bliss that is obtainable in life.
143. Let’s not dwell on the past. I know that I forgot to celebrate the wondrous day you were born, but I swear I will be there for your future. Belated happy birthday to a superb person!
144. Like most boyfriends, I sometimes forget important dates. Like a great boyfriend, I will make sure that I make up for it. I’d do anything for you, and I wish you a belated happy birthday!
145. I hope that your big day was as special to you as you are to me. That’s difficult to achieve though! My well wishes may be late, but they are still meant with love and affection.
146. Even though I wasn’t there, I hope that you enjoyed your birthday a lot. In case you didn’t, I am here now to make sure that you have an outstanding time. I have a lot to make up for, so we are going all out today. Belated happy birthday to a truly excellent person!
147. I am sorry that I keep missing your special day, but as a consolation at least it only happens once a year! Belated happy birthday from your habitually late friend!
148. I love you to bits, and I hope that you aren’t too upset or sad that I forgot one of the most important days of your life: the day you were born. You have enriched my life with your warmth, laughter, and love. I truly hope that your year is as phenomenal as you are.
149. I’m sure there was a very good reason why your birthday wish was late, but sadly, I forgot it just like I forgot your birthday! It’s hard being old, so please forgive me. May your life be filled with endless moments of joy and love. You deserve this and so much more in life.
150. I remembered your special day, but I just forgot to tell you happy birthday on the exact date. So, let me tell you now: you are perfection, and I wish you a belated happy birthday!
151. Happy birthday still counts even if it’s late right? Hopefully, my birthday well wishes won’t expire, and I know that at least my presents won’t. Belated happy birthday!
152. I’m not late. I’m just the last to wish you happy birthday! Plus, the guest of honor is always supposed to arrive last, and I am your bestie after all. Belated happy birthday, girl!
153. Even though it’s very late, I wish you unbridled joy, unlimited happiness, and unbelievable amounts of love and friendship for your birthday. Belated happy birthday!
154. Good friends wish you happy birthday, but truly phenomenal friends drag your birthday celebration and joy out. I did it all for you, friend. Belated happy birthday from your bestie!
155. I’m not late. I’m purposefully delayed. I did this so that you can appreciate how wonderful it is to celebrate being amazing more than once. Someone as witty, sassy, and lovable as you should have multiple celebrations. May you enjoy every minute of your second birthday!
156. This is late because I wanted to ensure that I had you all to myself. And your cake all to myself! Wait. There’s no leftover cake? Darn. That plan completely failed. Oh well. At least, I have you. Belated happy birthday from your cake-less friend!
157. I know that someone as witty and wacky as you had a wonderful birthday, but I am still going to wish you belated happy birthday anyway! May your year be full of wealth and warmth.
158. I hope that you believe in “better late than never” because I am incredibly late in wishing you the best of birthdays. If there’s one thing I believe in: it’s that you are a charming, loving, and forgiving person. Emphasis on forgiving. Belated happy birthday!
159. Someone who is such a serious partier like you deserves, not just a day of celebrating, but a whole week of celebrating your awesomeness. Because I am such a great friend, I decided to make that happen for you! So, I’m not late. I’m a courteous friend. Belated happy birthday!
160. I have brought quite a lot of alcohol for your birthday. My plan is to make you forget that I am late in wishing you a happy birthday. I hope this plan works!
161. Happy birthday! I know I’m late, but it’s just like me to say the right thing at exactly the wrong time. I hope that you had an amazing birthday filled with lots of presents, and I promise that next year I will work exceptionally hard at being on time.
162. This year I decided there was no need to wish you happy birthday on time. Why break tradition? I wouldn’t want to throw you off by being on time for once. Belated happy birthday!
163. It wasn’t that I couldn’t remember your birthday. I just wanted to be the last one to wish you happy birthday. This way you would remember me the best! Plan achieved.
164. On a positive note: even if this message is late, at least you know it is from me! No one else would dare to be late in wishing such a smart, sassy, and stunning person happy birthday.
165. I’m truly sorry that I forgot to tell you happy birthday. Life got a little bit hectic, but I’m so fortunate that I have someone who loves, supports, and forgives me regardless. Thank you.
166. I may have forgotten your special day, but in my defense, I’ve also forgotten everything else. It’s because I’m old! Please forgive me. At least, my memories of my time with you will always linger, even if not much else does. Belated happy birthday from your loving grandparent!
167. I know that my birthday wishes are extremely late, but will extra hugs and kisses help to mend your broken heart? Extra donuts even? Whatever it takes, I will try hard to win back your affection and trust. Belated happy birthday from your exceedingly regretful and sorry husband!
168. At least, being late doesn’t dampen my enthusiasm for wishing you happy birthday! I hope that it was a legendary birthday that will go down as one of the best yet. Too bad, I wasn’t there for it. I plan on making today as wonderful as I can for you because you deserve that.
169. Were you born yesterday? That’s amazing because I am hoping that I can fool you into forgetting how lame I am for forgetting your special day! Happy birthday and the best of wishes.
170. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think of you. Sadly, I didn’t think to tell you happy birthday. I am very sorry, and I hope that you had an amazing and joyous day!
171. I feel downright awful that I missed your big day. I wish that I was a superhero and that my superpower was going back in time. Then, I could wish you happy birthday on the correct date. I hope that you had a great time on your big day and that you have a great year as well.
172. Despite my well wishes being late, you can count on the fact that they come straight from my heart. I hope that you have a spectacular day and an even more spectacular year.
173. The exact date of your birthday may have passed by, but one thing will never pass: our bond. Please know that I think the world of you, and may your year be full of many delights.
174. I can’t believe I forgot one of the biggest days of the year: your birthday. Where was my mind at? To make it up to you, I have come bearing chocolate, candy, cake, and even cognac. No punches will be pulled when it comes to begging for your forgiveness. Belated happy birthday!
175. They may be late, but I am sending you the best of wishes along with my deepest apologies for missing your wonderful birthday. I hope that it was even half as great as you are.
176. I may have missed it, but I hope that your special day was a memorable one filled with excitement and happiness. I am sorry I am late, but I truly wish you the very best in life.
177. When my birthday rolls around, I will only have one wish: that you find it in you to forgive me for being late in telling you happy birthday. If it helps at all, you can be way later telling me happy birthday, and I promise that I will never, ever hold it against you!
178. I am just as disappointed in myself as you are that I forgot your special day. What was I thinking? I hope that I can make it up to you. At least, I have a whole year to do so!
179. Despite my tardiness, I hope that this birthday wish will still somehow bring a smile to your face and brighten your day. Please forgive me for being late. I truly didn’t mean to forget such a delightful, caring, and wonderful person. Belated happy birthday!
180. I hope that you can forgive me for my lateness in wishing you happy birthday because your friendship means a lot to me. I promise to do better next year if you forgive me this year!
181. It’s never too late to wish such an amazing person happy birthday. Or at least I hope it’s not! May you have a year full of peace, wealth, love, success, and the utmost joy possible.
182. The best birthday wishes are always from the heart, and there’s nothing I wish for more than your never-ending happiness in life. May every dream you aspire to always be within your reach. Belated happy birthday!
183. I promise that forgetting your birthday is not a sign that our love is weak; it is merely a sign that my memory is weak. Belated happy birthday to the love of my life!
184. I’m sending you a belated birthday wish that your life will continue to be filled with all the laughter and love that you so richly deserve because you’re a marvelous human being.
185. While there may not be an acceptable excuse for missing such a delightful person’s birthday, I want to remind you that nothing is more beautiful in life than the love of family. I may not remember all the dates that I should, but I will always remember to love you.
186. I hope that we’ve reached a point in our relationship where we can accept each other’s flaws. In the grand scheme of life, I think that having a bad memory isn’t the worst. But in case I’m wrong, please let me know the level of groveling I need to do. Belated happy birthday!
187. I keep forgetting to wish you happy birthday. Not because I am getting older, but because I keep forgetting that you age at all. I swear you still look 30! So, it’s not my fault at all that I am late. It is yours! Belated happy birthday to an eternally young and youthful person!
188. When life gets busy, time just seems to slip by. I’m sorry that I am late in telling you happy birthday. Your birthday has passed, but a friend like you will always stay in my heart.
189. I know that I missed your big day, but if it makes you feel better, I have come bearing offerings of peace for my transgression: M&M’s, popcorn, Cheetos, and all the Jurassic Park films. Do you think these will be enough to earn forgiveness? Should I also get cookie dough?
190. Your birthday may have gone by already, but the happiness and love that you bring into the world will always stay. Here’s wishing an astonishing person a belated happy birthday!
191. I was told that this year you were “burning the candle at both ends.” I thought this meant you wanted to celebrate your birthday before and after the exact date. Was I wrong? I am trying to help with the “after” part. Belated happy birthday to my hardworking friend!
192. I’m so sorry that I didn’t realize your birthday was coming up until it had already passed. I’m sure I missed out on a good time, but hopefully, I won’t miss out on a lifetime of friendship.
193. You are such a courageous, generous, and stupendous person. This just makes me even sadder that I missed your special day. I wish I could have spent the day with you, but I hope that you had a great time regardless. May your year be just as positive and bright as you are.
194. I hope it’s not too late to wish you happy birthday. Although it’s late, try to keep a positive mindset. You could also view it as being really early. Maybe. Belated happy birthday!
195. You are a special friend. So special that while I was coming up with the perfect way to celebrate your awesomeness, your birthday passed me by. I’m very sorry but know that no one could ever compare to how brilliant you are.
196. I have an excellent reason for missing your birthday, but it’s top-secret. You see, Tom Cruise and I are just alike: “I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.” Plus, we’re both handsome. More so me, but still. Belated happy birthday from your super sexy man!
197. I know that yesterday you received a lot of birthday well wishes and all, but who is so awesome that they thought of you even after your big day? Me. Because I am just so thoughtful.
198. I hope that you have a year that is even more phenomenal than the last. You are starting out strong since I am much less late this year in wishing you a belated happy birthday!
199. Good friends forgive you for being late in wishing them happy birthday, but really great friends forgive you for always being late in wishing them happy birthday. Thank you.
200. You’ve been blessed with so many wonderful things in life: abundant wealth, thoughtful friends, a loving family, and ample happiness to name a few. So, also expecting your birthday wish to be on time is just too much! Belated happy birthday to a truly fortunate person!
Other birthday wishes you may like: